Thursday, November 4, 2010

random act of kindness experiment

(this has proper capitalization because it was a paper for a class as well)

thoughts: Acts of kindness are not random for me, they are normal. It is easy for me to approach a stranger and strike up a conversation, to tell someone to have a nice day, or to offer to help someone carry a large load to their house. So, instead of choosing an act of kindness that was already a part of my daily routine, I was advised to choose something outside of my lifestyle. I chose to make some chocolate chip cookies and take them door to door to my neighbors until all of the cookies were gone. While this exercise was easy for me, it still was a rewarding experience.

I prepared a plate of chocolate chip cookies and walked three doors down the hallway of my apartment complex (I know the neighbors in the vicinity of my home). I knocked on doors, but didn’t receive many answers because it was mid-afternoon, and most of the residents were in class. When someone finally answered the door, I was greeted by a young man who I have seen in some of my classes. I offered him and his roommate a cookie, and they both happily accepted. I waved goodbye to them and continued to visit more apartments. I walked across the street to the other part of the complex and was greeted by another young man, who seemed pleasantly surprised that I offered him a cookie, which he happily took and ate, saying “Have a wonderful day! It was so nice to meet you!”

As my cookie supply dwindled and I knocked on more doors, the residents seemed to get more and more joyous. One girl was really surprised to see me offer her cookies, but she even invited me inside as she took about three cookies for her and her roommates. Every single house I visited (where people were home) happily accepted a cookie and thanked me, telling me to have a nice day. It was really great to see the smiles of the residents as I walked away from their doors.

I already know what it feels like to be kind to a complete stranger, but it seems the feeling is so much greater when you present the recipient with a tangible gift, no strings attached. I feel that for my particular experiment, the results were positive because most of the residents were students, and I was presenting them with free food, delicious cookies. Socially, I think this states that young adults are comfortable with people their own age, and I feel that young adults are willing to accept food that is given to them for free. Had this experiment taken place at an apartment complex where the majority of residents were not students, I’m not sure the results would be the same. I’m still sure that most people will take a free cookie, but I’m not sure if everyone would take a cookie from a stranger.

This experiment was rewarding and was also very fun. I am honestly considering doing more things like this, because I could see how it brightened people’s days and that made my day just a little happier too.


why i chose this photo: this is a picture of a teeny tiny flower that i found while walking in a park here in corvallis. the flower was really small and simple, but it made me smile as i noticed it among leaves and grass when i walked.

question: how has someone noticed you and expressed kindness towards you?

inspiration: "even the smallest things in life can be great when recognized."


No comments:

Post a Comment